The Turtle began life as a hand-crafted 32’ (10m) wooden cabin cruiser. After cruising the canal systems in Ontario for three summers, she lay idle for a few years until boat-builder John turned her into a cabin in the woods. After careful restoration, the Turtle now provides cosy accommodation for two people in two connected cabins. Total accommodation is 6’ x 18’ (2m x 6 m) and comprises a double bed, closet space and a two-seat raised dinette with views into the private forest. In keeping with the ecologically sensitive nature of the property, there is a shared outdoor shower and composting toilet. Guests have access to wifi in a large screened patio where they can also prepare and enjoy their refreshments and meals. A small refrigerator is provided to store perishables.
Newboro is a small village (population 250) in the Township of Rideau Lakes, approximately 100 km south-west of Ottawa, Canada’s capital. It is situated on Newboro Lake, one of the most picturesque lakes on the Rideau Canal, where the Newboro Lock is one of only three hydraulically operated locks. Nearby villages include Westport, Elgin and Portland (all within 10 minutes by car). The beautiful town of Perth is 35 minutes by car, Smiths Falls 30 minutes, and Kingston 45 minutes. Newboro is the home of Kilborns, a perfect place to spend a rainy afternoon!
Other local accommodation: If our accommodation is full or you would prefer to stay elsewhere in the village while still having access to the English immersion experience with us, you can explore these possibilities:
- The Cottages at Turtle Hill – 2 Water Street, Newboro – a short walk from The Turtle: http://www.turtlehillcottages.com
- The Poplars Resort – 8 By Street, Newboro – a short walk from the Turtle: http://www.poplarsresort.com
- The Stirling Lodge – 2 Drummond Street, Newboro – about ten minutes walk from The Turtle: http://www.stirlinglodge.com
- Newboro House B&B – 31 Drummond Street, Newboro – about fifteen minutes’ walk from The Turtle: http://www.newborohouse.com
- Dominion House B&B – 15 Main Street, Newboro – about fifteen minutes’ walk from The Turtle: https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/8545557